Wednesday 26 March 2014

Rikke Elverdam


I think this piece is absolutely fantastic.  It's filled with humour, familiarity and fresh deliciousness, as you can almost smell the fresh doughy bread.  The set up of this 3D type is very clever.  The background of an armchair is easily recognisable as an old person chair or living room, minus the standard hideous carpet and wallpaper.  'They call me grandma' - This has been made from baked bread with the grandma part slightly overdone, and I'm not sure if that was accidental or planned; but it works!  I feel like I can relate easily to this piece as when you think of grandparents, the thought of food swiftly follows.  Speaking from experience, every time I visit my grandma she tries to stuff me full of toast, oranges and toffee sweets.  It's just something that Grandparents seem to do as they fear you'll be wasting away otherwise.  Bread also symbolises warmth, comfort and familiarity.  In all, this piece works wonderfully as a 3D typography installation and a real life grandparent is not needed to communicate the brilliance behind the idea. 


No comments:

Post a Comment