Thursday 6 March 2014

Federico Pietrella


Federico Pietrella created these images by using date stamps against a white wall.  I find it very interesting that he was able to create tone in the image by making the stamp less dense in the lighter areas.  As a result the image looks quite pixilated which is strange as it is ultimately hand made, not of digital origin.  The black/grey/dull tone of this image works well the male character featured.  His face looks quite pensive, almost forlorn - would this differ if Pietrella had used red, blue, yellow ink?




I find the image intriguing as the male character is anonymous and there is no caption for this work explaining what it means.  Is it date '26th APR 2012' when the work was created or does it have a special meaning to the artist?  I feel this gives it a personal touch but also causes a sense of mystery for the audience.  The piece is without a doubt beautifully constructed and it has inspired me to create my own anonymous face out of hand crafted stamps.  I like the fact that if Pietrella were to try and recreate this work, it would never ever be identical as the placing of the stamps are set in time and cannot be exactly replicated.  I would think that the creation of this piece could be quite time consuming and require immense patience, yet it is executed beautifully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment