Wednesday 26 March 2014

Lucy Norris - Dreamscape Typography


Lucy Norris is currently studying Graphic Design at University and I recently came across her design blog.  She was set a new project where she had to create a new typeface made completely from wire.

'I had to pick a quotation use my new typeface and present it in a visual way. My typeface is called Dreamscape. I chose to twist the wire to create a fantasy effect.'  

"Imagination is more important than knowledge".  I can see why Lucy chose to wind the wire round several times to create loops as it makes the typography look a lot dreamier and magical.  It reminds me of something that you would see at the start of a fairytale story, almost grand in a way.  The tiny loops also remind me of little flies or bumblebees, maybe connecting the idea back to nature?  Even though that may seem ironic as metal is considered quite industrial; the opposite of natural.  

The typeface is successful in communicating her 'Dreamscape' idea, as it is called, however I do find it slightly difficult to read as she put so many loops in there.  The darkness of the wire also makes it seem quite eerie in a sense, so there could be improvement when considering the colour.  As a 3 dimensional typeface, it works wonderfully as it able to stand alone and you get the lovely shadowy effect when light is shone sideways on it.  In all, the typeface has been beautifully constructed and suits the quote perfectly.  It seems as though she might also be questioning if your imagination is suppressed and bound up as such by the tight wire so of society.  Does society appreciate the wealth of knowledge more than the wealth of imagination?




No comments:

Post a Comment